Earlier this week, I was invited back to Breakfast Television to share some work and play looks for spring and summer.
As you know, I like to highlight how one can look polished and put together while stretching those hard earned dollars. So, I decided to put these looks together with the help of two amazing consignment stores right here in Edmonton.
Shopping second hand stores (consignment and/or vintage) is a great way to find unique pieces and/or designer pieces at a fraction of the cost. Here’s a quick tip:
- Don’t immediately discard a piece if it doesn’t fit you perfectly off the hanger. If it’s too small, you’re likely out of luck. However, if it’s a great quality piece, at a great price, look to see if there is something that can be altered to make it work for you. A gush: I once found a MaxMara dress that was $30 at a consignment store. Though the dress was several sizes too big for me, I bought it anyways – it was beautiful. I then took it to my tailor and had her bring it in to fit me. I’ve had it for at least 3 years now and wear it all the time.
It’s like we’re playing Simon Says
First up, a professional look for the office that I would best describe as elegant.
S/S Professional Look
Model #1: Cheryl
Why this look is amazing:
- A classic white dress (yes, that’s a Tahari dress) will be your go-to item throughout the spring and summer. A brightly coloured blazer can be paired with this dress for a strong pop of colour. With the detailing at the waist, there’s no need for a belt.
- A nude pump is an investment item. If cared for properly, they will last you for years. Yes, those are second hand Jimmy Choo’s and they are in perfect condition. These ones are more than 50% off the regular retail price.
- The pops of colour in this look are the clutch, earrings and lip colour. The goal is to make sure that these colours complement one another rather than match. Also, if you’re going to add a bright lip for work, make sure you don’t have heavy eye makeup on as well. Balance is key.
- Don’t you just love Cheryl’s loose bob? This is a soft, feminine look that will keep her neck cool during those hot summer months.
Stay tuned. I’ll be doing a breakdown of our second professional look from this segment.
Hair: House of Tin Salon
Makeup: Makeup by Bean
Styling: Yours Truly
Clothing, Accessories, Shoes: Vespucci Ladies Consignment
Model: Cheryl P.