I love my time on Breakfast Television! I was fortunate enough to share some holiday looks on a recent segment.
As you know, I normally share advice and tips on professional style and personal branding but I this time, decided to do something totally different and fun for the holidays.
I’m talking about elevating a holiday look… you know, the what to wear vs. what not to wear concept.
I’m breaking down this segment into two parts: casual holiday attire and dressy-formal New Year’s looks.
Up first, casual attire.
Instead of wearing something like this to your aunt’s/family friend’s/cousin’s house (Hilarious? Yes. Practical for eating at the dinner table? Not so much)….
Photo from: myuglychristmassweater.com
I’d suggest something more like this – a sweater that truly has that holiday, cozy feel and is WAY more stylish. By the way, I know you think this sweater looks dressy to wear at home but it’s really just a sweater. You wear sweaters.
- Pair it with a slim leg pant and simple accessories. If you prefer a skirt, I’d suggest one that is a bit fuller for a more vintage-inspired look (make sure this skirt style works for your body type).
- The studded collar is a lot so over-accessorizing would just be too much.
- I’ve paired these pants with velvet loafers. If you want to make this outfit a bit dressier, add a pump, preferrably one with a thin, stilletto heel.
Everyone loves a cheesy Christmas sweater, like this one….
Photo from: Esquire.com, Jason Yormark- Rock Your Ugly Christmas Sweater
Here’s a holiday sweater that is perfect to wear when visiting or having people over at your place. I’ve taken it up a notch with a red, studded bowtie. I know. A studded bowtie. At home. It’s the holidays, go for it.
- There are a lot of patterns going on in this outfit. That’s perfectly fine. If it’s too much for you, remove a pattern. Maybe swap out the polka dot button down shirt for a solid-coloured one.
- If the bow tie really is too much for you, don’t force it.
- I’ve added green trousers with a bit of sheen in them to dress up this sweater. If you want to keep it casual, add a pair of dark-wash jeans instead.
Stay tuned for Part 2….
Models: Megan & Kevin S.
Shoes: The Bay– City Centre